Massage therapists and clients may ask themselves, “What’s better, massage oil, or massage lotion?” before getting or giving a massage. Everyone is different and therefore they have different preferences. However, what exactly are the differences between the two types of products and how can it impact your massage experience?
Massage oil is known to have a more liquid consistency compared to lotion. Since most oils are pure, they offer different benefits compared to a lotion or cream. Massage oil glides on the skin very easily, and if you are someone that prefers this type of feel, then massage oil may be the right product for you. But what are the pros and cons of massage oil?
Benefits of Massage Oil
- Glides easily on the skin,
- Penetrates deep into the skin to absorb and lock in moisture,
- Will not clog pores since a massage oil is pure oil and has no chemical ingredients,
- Helps the skin retain more moisture, leaving it hydrated for a longer period of time, and
- Oil is easier to heat up if you have a massage oil warmer.
Disadvantages of Massage Oil
- Can make the patient feel very oily or greasy later on, and
- Can be potentially dangerous to the practitioner; can slip and fall if oil residue is on the ground during a massage.
Massage lotion, compared to oil, is thicker and less liquid-y. It can still glide on the skin, but it is much less slippery and has other ingredients in it, rather than some oils that are very pure. Most massage creams are scented and can add a beautiful aroma to the room while the patient is receiving a massage.
Benefits of Massage Lotion
- Can penetrate and nourish the skin if it is dry and dehydrated,
- Can have a light, pleasant scent,
- Can make the skin feel instantly smooth, and
- Can offer many vitamins and minerals such as vitamin E, D, Aloe Vera, and Shea butter.
Disadvantages of Massage Lotion
- Some creams may contain chemical ingredients or be tested on animals/non vegan or not cruelty-free,
- Lotion cannot be warmed up like massage oil and can give the patient an unpleasant experience.
In sum, there are advantages and disadvantages to using massage creams or oils. The only way to choose try each one and see which you prefer. Lierre.ca offers many hydrating massage oils and nourishing massage creams to satisfy all customer preferences. While you are browsing for massage oils, gels, creams, and lotions, take a look at all the other massage supplies Lierre.ca has. You can purchase a massage table, massage bolsters and pillows, and so much more.
Lierre.ca will be having a mega Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale on November 29, 2019. Don’t miss out on this amazing offer! You can take off 80% on selected merchandise!